Welcome!

In this blog I will be reviewing ebooks I have read. I use an amazon Kindle, so much of the information will be geared towards Kindle users, but other ereader users should still find the information helpful. Many of the books I will be reviewing are free or low-cost books published by independent authors, my goal is to get the word out about some amazing authors that I think deserve more props, and to let you know which books are not worth the time reading. I am open to suggestions, about information you'd like me to add or new books I should check out and review.
Contact me at CassandrasBeads@Gmail.com

Friday, December 30, 2011

The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

Type: Novel
Price: Free 
Genre: Action/Adventure/Fantasy/Steampunk
Grade: A+



This is the first of the Amaranthe Lokdon stories, and the beginning of a fantastical tale that is sure to please anyone. This book has something for everyone, it a is fantasy, action, steampunk, mystery story with a heroine, assassin and a touch of magic. Lindsay Buroker creates a world that is as real and gritty as Terry Pratchett's Diskworld, and holds all the same appeal. Though the story is character driven, the plot is intricate and fascinating and makes this book impossible to put down. The main characters are impossible to dislike and the smattering of tertiary characters add whimsy and reality to the story.


Amaranthe Lokdon is our heroine, and she is as real a hero as anyone could believe. She is strong and headstrong, yet sweet and affable with a charming touch of OCD. She relies on a quick wit, friendly disposition, a generous amount of luck, and the ability to inspire loyalty and trust in those around her to get her through a myriad of dangerous situations that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Amaranthe is so multi-dimensional a character you will walk away from this book feeling like you know her, or for some, want to be her!


Sicarius is not the main character of this book, but non the less, he steals the show. An assassin so notorious that he is known not only throughout the Turgonian empire, but the whole world, and so good at his job that the emperor himself put a $2 million ranmya bounty on his head. Sicarius is silent, stealthy, deadly, and will steal your heart. Though he says little, and emotes even less, you can not help but love him, from the soles of his soft black boots, to the tips of his disheveled blonde hair. He is the hottest bad-ass since Aragorn (though certainly more morally objectionable).


When these two unlikely partners must pair up to reach a common goal, the result is pure genius. The background characters are no less important to the story and the above mentioned goals, and although they only step up to the limelight for brief moments, they are all beautifully crafted and feel as real as the main characters.
Though this is the first in a series of books (three so far, but a fourth is in the making) I already look forward to reading it again. Though the series is not yet finished (and so far I've only read two of the novels and the three short stories) already it is shaping up to be one of my favorite series's, up with the likes of Lord of the Rings, His Dark Materials, Narnia, Harry Potter and the Diskworld books.


I give this book my highest recommendation. Seriously, go read it. It is free and will only make your life better. If you don't have a Kindle device, install the Cloud reader on your computer, phone, etc. and download this book. that is all. 
visit the author's website at www.lindsayburoker.com

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm grinning. Thank you for posting these reviews!

    Though I have to admit, Maldynado is a little upset that you didn't mention him... and also that you mentioned love and Sicarius in the same sentence. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think more people need to intentionally ignore Maldynado, it may shrink his ego an iota. But I do think he is hilarious and wouldn't want him to go anywhere!
    As for loving Sicarius, I think it takes a special kind of woman to love him, but there are a smattering of us out there!

    Thank you so much for taking the time out to read and comment! I hope this endears my smattering of readers to you and your work even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just devoured The Emperor's Edge, am tucked in and ready to feast on Dark Currents. Thanks Cassandra, if not for your review I never would have found these gems.

    ReplyDelete